President Mohammadu Buhari is pained by the reported execution of aid workers in the north-Eastern part by a terrorist.
This, was as the United Nation humanitarian in Nigeria also condemns the execution of those workers.
The Presidency, in a statement on Saturday, said Buhari condemned the killings.
President Buhari made reassurance of government readiness of defeating terrorists. He word: “The defeat of evil by good is inevitable, no matter the pyrrhic victory evildoers seem to win”, a part of the statement read.
It added, “The President feels saddened by the claim development, and commiserates with the family and loved ones of the aid workers, who had offered themselves to serve humanity at grave risks.
The aid workers had been abducted near Damasak, Borno State, in July, and had been held despite all efforts to secure their release, till their alleged execution.”
In a statement signed by Mr Femi Adeshina, quoted President Buhari in his own words, as saying, “Evil will always be defeated by good at the end of the day.
“Whatever seeming victory evil records, eventually rebounds on the evildoer. We are resolved to beat evil in this land, and we remain unrelenting until we achieve it.”
Meanwhile, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr Edward Kallon has condemned the killing of four aid workers by armed groups in Borno.
The Head of Public Information, UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, Eve Sabbagh, stated this in a statement on Saturday in Maiduguri.
Kallon said the UN agency was sad by the killing of the aid workers by their captors on December 13.
He described the action as “tragic” and called for the immediate release of aid workers still under captivity.
“I am deeply saddened and outraged by the news of the tragic killing of four aid workers who were held captive by armed groups for almost five months.
“My thoughts go to their families, friends, and colleagues who are enduring unspeakable pain and hardship,” Kallon said.
He explained that the four men were among the six aid workers abducted on July 26; when an armed group attacked their convoy in Damasak of Mobbar Local Government Area.
“They were working on a health project implemented by the Action Against Hunger, an International Non-Governmental Organisation.
“One of the drivers was killed during the attack and another was reportedly executed on September 24.
“I plead for the immediate release of Grace Taku, the only woman who was in the ACF team, and whose whereabouts remain unknown.
“I also call for the immediate release of Alice Loksha, a nurse and a mother, who was abducted during an attack in Rann in March 2018,” he said.
Kallon described the action as another sad day for the people of Nigeria and the humanitarian community.
He noted that the aid workers devoted their lives to helping the most vulnerable communities in Borno, in spite of the risks.
According to him, the UN and partners were working to provide vital assistance to over seven million people in the crisis-affected states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe.
The coordinator, however, decried that humanitarian workers have increasingly become the target of violent attacks.
He revealed that seven aid workers were killed this year while 26 others lost their lives in the conflict since 2011.
Kallon added that “Violence against humanitarian actors jeopardizes access to much-needed assistance for people affected by the armed conflict.