Wednesday, 29 November 2017

Uproar As Government Decision Sacking 4,042 Local Council Employees Attract Protest in kaduna


 Image result for kaduna workers protest

The government of Kaduna state has concluded plans to show 4,042 council employees way out whilst its decision has suddenly attracted protest. The workers in the 23 local councils of the state said they are battle ready against the government decision.
The commissioner for local government and chieftaincy affairs, Alhaji Jaafaru Ibrahim Sani, who confirmed the sack yesterday to journalist at a press conference 
Said the state  government’s decision  to downsize its workers was to reduce the over-bloated payroll on the councils and also ensure their capacity to effectively deliver meaningful projects is sustainable




Meanwhile, the affected workers trooped to the council secretariats to stage a protest against the government action. One of the affected workers, who pleaded anonymity, spoke with our correspondent, saying: “Some of us are now victims of this government sack after teachers have been sacked. “We are appealing to the governor to consider our families and the number of years that we have put into service in the state. This treatment is inhumane and not acceptable.”
Sani, who stated that 3,195 of the retrenched workers were already retired while only 838 were affected by the policy, said that arrangement had been made to compensate the affected members of staff.
He said that the El-Rufai-led government was only trying to correct the mistakes made by the previous administration for unnecessarily recruiting workers on friendship or political grounds, which according to him, had prevented the councils from executing tangible projects.

He said: “Capacity of local councils to render effective service to the community was hampered. Most local councils after receiving allocations to pay their members of staff, the state government still have to augment the shortfall.”

Sani, however, said six local councils are on life support, as they find it difficult and impossible to pay their workers.The spokesperson to the state governor on media, Samuel Aruwan, has refuted the claims that the sack was to witch-hunt antagonists to the government.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...