The embattled former senior special Assistant to president Good luck Jonathan, Doyin Okupe has relieved his own side of how money allocated to him through the former NSA was spent,
In my interactions with efcc I have been asked to explain 3 things only so far.
1. Why I received N50m from the Former NSA, at the onset of my appointment, and what I used it for.
2. Why I was being paid N10m monthly by the ONSA.
3. Why I received another N50m from the NSA in October 2014.
These are the ONLY subject of interrogation with the commission so far.
1. The initial N50m was approved by the President to be paid to me from His Security vote. N10m was to furnish my rented living apartment and another N10m for my office.
The balance N30m was approved as takeoff grant.
2. The N10m I received from the ONSA monthly was to run my office, pay salaries of staffs, including overheads, pay expenses for our numerous press conferences, pay for publications in newspapers, magazines, local and foreign, television programs, bulletins, and media consultants who assist and facilitate our work. I had about 23 staff, 11 were graduates out of which 5 were masters degrees holders. Details were submitted to efcc.
3. The second N50m was approved again by Mr President when I reported to him that the monthly allowance has been cut from N10m to N5m and that I was no longer in position to keep running a 1hr NTA network program called INSIGHT which was aired 9-10am every Friday. We paid NTA about N1.2m monthly for airtime.
Two presenters were paid N600K monthly. We paid for tapes and Editing per program. Besides we also pay honorarium for guests either directly or inform of hotel bills for those outside Abuja, or transportation. This cost averagely N500,000 weekly or about N 2m monthly. All in all we spend about N4m monthly on the program. Mr President promised to help with the expenses. About a few months later when we had incurred some debts the NSA sent me this N50m which was to cover the cost of the program for 12 months(12×N4m=N48m)
I saw strange figures like N 162m fraud, 85m fraud etc. Also mention was made of dubious payments of N13m, N65m from contracts supposedly obtained from chachanga LGA in Niger state.
My company Romix soilfix was one of the over 20 construction companies who were duly awarded contracts for rural roads some 5yrs ago by the Niger state govt. Due to lack of funds contractors were paid irregularly making the job to drag. The job is still on going. The relationship of this to my service as snr special assistant to President is still not clear.
My Health status.
I confided in the officers of the commission about my health situation for them to understand why where and how I sleep was important to my overall well being.
Without clearance or authorisation by me this information was revealed to the media. I woke up to hear it on radio broadcast nationwide and was published in many newspapers. This is a sad development and a definite breach of the confidence I reposed on the commission as an institution of government.
I was born with sinus bradycadia, a non-disease based slowness of the heart. It precluded me from vigorous exercise from childhood but I have by God's Grace been able to live a normal and active life. With age the slowness grew worse and life threatening.
I sought medical help and went through a procedure at the Arrhythmia cardiac Research center in Atlanta, where this defect was corrected. Its just a year ago and I am still under satellite monitor from the USA. This is what I revealed to the efcc and they made it a public issue.
I have been in public service in more than 20years, because of my pedigree, I have by deliberate policy avoided anything that will bring shame to me, my name and family.
In spite of my high level involvement in politics and government, I have never done directly or indirectly any federal government contracts. In the whole of this world I have only two house. One in Lagos and another in my home town. I have no house elsewhere including Abuja.
It us a pity that the situation in the country is so bad that everybody believes that there are no men with honor in politics or government. It is not true. I have submitted all my personal and company accounts to efcc. I have nothing to hide.